Jean-Cyril (JC) Walker counsels clients on a wide range of matters, including compliance with U.S. requirements governing the safe management and disposal of chemical and hazardous substances under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and state analogues. He advises industry and trade association clients on regulations of hazardous air pollutants under the federal Clean Air Act (CAA) and state and local air pollution statutes, as well as emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in adhesives, paints, and other industrial and consumer products.
JC helps clients navigate product safety issues. This includes assessing compliance with the Federal Hazardous Substances Act (FHSA), other Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) requirements, and state consumer product requirements.
Additionally, JC counsels a broad range of industries on compliance with the U.S. Energy Policy and Conservation Act and California’s energy efficiency regulations. Representative clients include manufacturers and distributors of consumer appliances; commercial refrigeration equipment, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment; and computers and consumer electronic devices.
In addition to compliance advice, JC regularly represents clients in actions brought by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of Energy (DOE), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and other Federal and state regulatory agencies.
- Advised solar panel manufacturer on applicability of Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) to discarded panels
- Assisted companies in responding to and challenging environmental regulations
- Advised company on the management of RCRA hazardous pharmaceutical wastes
- Assisted distributor in settling alleged violations of CAA engine certification requirements
- Assisted companies in responding to alleged violations of California Proposition 65
- Assisted companies in demonstrating compliance with California’s Rigid Plastic Packaging Container requirements
- Assisted clients in FTC investigations of environmental and “green” marketing claims
- Assisted clients in obtaining waivers from DOE energy conservation standards
- Represented clients before the DOE Office of Hearing Appeals to obtain exceptions from the DOE energy conservation standards
- Assisted product manufacturers in responding to compliance inquiries and notices of violation under federal and state energy efficiency regulations
- Prepared and updated product safety and liability management programs
- Reviewed product labels and formulas for compliance with regulatory requirements
- Reviewed instructions, labels, manuals, installation and service guides, and advertising for product liability risk management
- Advised on applicability of third-party standards to specific products
- Counseled on government reporting obligations under the Consumer Product Safety Act and the European Product Safety Directive
- Advised clients on incorporating regulatory compliance into risk management programs