Jeffrey A. Keithline
Jeffrey (Jeff) Keithline provides legal counsel to manufacturers, producers, and suppliers on matters concerning food contact and related materials on a global scale. His extensive knowledge and experience span various regions, including Canada, Mexico, the European Union, Central and South America, and the Pacific Rim.
Jeff advises companies in establishing the suitable regulatory status of their products under the requirements of various regulatory agencies, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and their international counterparts.
Additionally, he helps clients navigate complex compliance issues under state and local requirements relating to manufacturing, labeling, and disposal of products and packaging, including toxics in packaging. He also provides guidance to clients on upcoming and existing sustainability and recyclability legislation and various state right-to-know acts.
Jeff serves as outside counsel to several trade associations, representing both the associations and the industries they serve. In this capacity, he drafts industry responses, citizens petitions, comments on regulatory proposals, amicus briefs, and policy papers on pending legislation.
Jeff is a contributing author to packaginglaw.com, which provides news and analysis of worldwide packaging regulations, and is frequently invited to speak at both domestic and international food contact conferences.
- Represented polymer manufacturers in obtaining food contact clearances for products entering the market in many jurisdictions across the globe
- Provided guidance to food packaging suppliers regarding labeling requirements under California’s Proposition 65 (Prop 65)
- Drafted and submitted to FDA numerous Food Contact Notifications (FCNs), successfully obtaining clearances for new food contact substances
- Counseled clients on potential market withdrawals and potential recalls, as well as, advised clients on facility inspections
- Advised clients on sustainability and recyclability initiatives, single-use packaging bans, and other proposed environmental legislation and regulations around the world