Ian J. Murray
Ian Murray assists domestic and foreign clients with regulatory compliance related to food and drug law, with an emphasis on food and drug packaging. He works with corporations to obtain premarket clearance for food contact substances and helps bring new products to market in jurisdictions throughout the world, including the United States (U.S.), Canada, the European Union (EU), and South America.
Ian prepares Food Contact Notifications (FCNs) for clients and drafts legal opinion letters evaluating packaging components such as additives, printing inks, adhesives, polymer components, and color additives used in plastics, paper and paperboard, and coatings. He also advises clients on the use of recycled materials in food contact applications.
Ian’s Master of Science in Analytical Chemistry and graduate minor in Biochemistry position him to assist clients with the technical aspects of food and drug law matters.
Prior to joining Keller and Heckman, Ian was a Scientific Associate at a scientific services company, where he drafted safety assessments and other documents for various national and international regulatory bodies. While in law school, Ian was the Executive Article and Symposium Editor for the Maryland Law Review and received CALI Excellence for the Future Awards® for Legal Writing and Advanced Legal Research–Health Law.
- Prepared legal opinion letters and submissions to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which established the capability of recycling processes to produce post-consumer recycled material that is suitable for food contact use
- Performed regulatory reviews of food contact materials to assess compliance with EU, MERCOSUR, and Chinese food contact laws and regulations
- Drafted legal opinion letters on the status of chemical substances for use in food contact applications
- Developed legal analysis of legislation and legislative policy to assist multinational companies in advocacy efforts
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- William P. Cunningham Awards, University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards® for Legal Writing and Advanced Legal Research–Health Law