Evangelia C. Pelonis
Evangelia C. Pelonis joined Keller and Heckman in 2003 as a Food and Drug Associate. Ms. Pelonis' practice focuses on all regulatory and compliance matters of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Department of Agriculture relating to human food, animal feed, food additives and ingredients, and dietary supplements. Ms. Pelonis' works with clients to achieve their marketing goals within the applicable legal frameworks. She counsels clients in all aspects of food development and marketing, from product formulation and manufacturing considerations to food labeling and advertising.
Ms. Pelonis regularly assists clients with issues involving:
- Review of food labeling and promotional material, including appropriate common or usual names, ingredient declarations, nutrition labeling, health claims, nutrient content claims, structure function claims, allergen labeling, organic labeling
- Review of substantiation for labeling and advertising claims
- Food safety and preparing self-determined GRAS positions and GRAS Notifications for submission to FDA
- FDA enforcement actions and responses to Warning Letters
- Compliance with FDA's Bioterrorism regulations
- Assisting clients with product recalls and reports to the Reportable Food Registry
- Import and export issues regulated by FDA, Customs and USDA, including assisting companies in gaining release of detained products and removal from Import Alert
- International food regulatory matters
While in law school, Ms. Pelonis received a Certificate in Law and Public Policy and was a Note and Comment Editor for the CommLaw Conspectus: Journal of Communications Law and Policy.
American Bar Association