What Assurance Statement Should Be Provided for Kitchen Utensils Imported From China?

June 17, 2014

I'm looking into importing kitchen utensils (such as potato peelers, vegetable slicers, etc.) from China. Some manufacturers have asked me how they could get FDA certification. How should I respond?


Customer requests for assurances of regulatory compliance for food-contact materials are quite common in the United States. Three major forms of customer assurances are: a guaranty letter issued under Section 303(c)(2) of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act); a letter from a supplier to its customer advising that the material in question is in compliance with the FD&C Act and all applicable FDA food additive regulations; or confirmation from a third party, such as legal counsel. For more detailed information, see the article, Customer Assurance for Food Packaging Materials: Points to Consider.