Is a RN Number Required on a Packaging Insert Card?

September 30, 2008

We're having trouble finding information on whether an RN number is required on a packaging insert card (i.e., the company's card that is inserted into the vinyl zipper bag). Our understanding of FTC regulations is that an RN number is required on the FTC label but not on the insert card. Is there website where I can research this?


Registered Identification Numbers (RN) are issued by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to U.S. businesses that manufacture, import, distribute, or sell products covered by the Textile, Wool, and Fur Acts. According to FTC, such businesses are not required to use an RN number; however, they must label products covered by the Textile, Wool, and Fur Acts with either the name or RN number of a U.S. business responsible for manufacturing or marketing the product or the name of a foreign manufacturer. In other words, a company business name may be listed on a label instead of an RN. FTC provides answers to frequently asked questions on RN numbers on it website at: