Thayer E. Ellis
Thayer Ellis advises domestic and foreign clients on compliance issues regarding food additives and food contact materials. She counsels clients on U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulations related to food contact materials and works with clients to obtain premarket clearance for food contact substances in the U.S., the European Union, Latin America, and Asia.
Prior to joining Keller and Heckman, Thayer worked for a Brazil-based law firm where she advised on cross-border issues such as the applicability of Brazilian health, biotechnology, food, drug, and agricultural regulations to foreign companies. She has also worked in the Office of the Principal Legal Advisor, U.S. Department of Homeland Security and has served as a Federal Law Clerk in the Office of Administrative Law Judges, U.S. Department of Labor. Her government experience and international background benefit Keller and Heckman’s global clients conducting cross-border transactions.
During law school, Thayer was the lead articles editor for the Washington & Lee Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice and Co-President of the Women’s Law Student Organization. In addition, she received the W&L Pro Bono Service Award.
- Advised on cross-border issues such as the applicability of Brazilian health, biotechnology, food, drug, and agricultural regulations on foreign companies
- Assisted a large pharmaceutical company with understanding the regulatory framework pertaining to gene therapy products
- Advised on the regulatory landscape for registration, importation, and trade of fertilizer and biofertilizer products in Brazil
- Assisted in a class action suit regarding alleged irregularities on packaging/labeling of drugs
- American Bar Association (ABA)